Monday, October 13, 2014

Vegan Diaries Posts 2 and 3

October 11, 2014
 
So, it has been about two months since my last post. Diet-wise, nothing has really changed. I still have my banana smoothie for breakfast. For lunch, I usually eat huge salads now because mangoes are out of season. My apple tree finally produced ripe apples, and I did get a ton off of it. The rest are given to the wild animals or added to my compost heap behind the fence.
 
I did learn a few new recipes. I learned how to make vegetable rolls, guacamole, and banana bread.
 
For vegetable rolls, you need to make sticky rice, nori paper, and finely chopped vegetables.
Recipe for sticky rice: http://www.tablespoon.com/posts/how-to-make-sticky-rice-at-home/8109b0e4-ac06-4a0a-aa7f-50d5bcfe3cb9 (I used the steaming method because it was easy).
Sweet Potato Rolls
 
 
If you follow the directions on this site, it's easy to make the rolls: http://makemysushi.com/How-to-make-sushi/maki-roll.html. Also, with these instructions, you can put whatever you want inside them.
 
Recipe for guacamole: http://m.californiaavocado.com/m/recipe/31469/?platform=mobile
 
Recipe for banana bread:
Vegan/Gluten-Free Banana Bread
 
http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/breadsbakery/r/vegan_banana_bread_recipe.htm
For this one, I use rice flower because I am allergic to gluten, and vanilla almond milk. It just tastes amazing that way.
 
During this time, I did a lot of reflecting. I have been trying my hardest to stay in tune with nature and other people. My goal is to become more selfless, think of ways in which I can help others, and act on it. I have also been able to change my way of thinking. I used to feel like "the victim" all of the time, but now I feel like it isn't about me. That old mentality kept me in a bad mood 99% of the time, and I realized that's not how to live. Now, I am even happier, and I am able to thrive. The most important thing is to be grateful and appreciate all the things you have in life because most people don't have the basic necessities. Be happy for what you have. 
 
October 13, 2014

 
While searching for new people to follow on YouTube, I found three people that I really like: izzy .davis, Simply Vegan, and Rice And Raw. I really love their attitudes about life, and I think they are really worth following. These guys are also vegans, and I love seeing them spread the vegan message with their own methods. They also share some really awesome recipes.
 
One recipe that I really like is Izzy's guacamole recipe. It's so delicious. In addition, I find her combination of collard greens/veggies/guacamole salad combination amazing. It is my favorite thing to eat now. I literally ate a whole bag of spinach in one sitting today by just combining that with veggies and guacamole. I can finally say goodbye to the massive sodium dressings now because I don't need them anymore. I have guacamole! Whoo hoo!  

No comments:

Post a Comment